|Birth||(1906-12-25)December 25, 1906 Aussig,Austro-Hungarian Empire|
|Birth Place||Aussig,Austro-Hungarian Empire|
|Death||(1989-11-23)(aged 82) Melbourne,Australia|
|Alma Mater||University of Vienna(1925–1931) University of Melbourne(1946)|
|Institution||Naturhistorisches Museum, Vienna (1923–1932)
Natural History Museum, London (1930–1931)
University of Moscow(1936)
University of Adelaide, Australia (1950–1989)
South Australian Museum(1953–1989)
Events Occured in Scienctist Life
He was a research associate at the Naturhistorisches Museum in Vienna from 1923 to 1932, and starting in 1925 attended the University of Vienna, where he received a doctorate in law in 1929, and a Ph.D. in geology and paleontology in 1931.
He was a research associate at the Natural History Museum in London from 1930 to 1931.In 1932 he moved to Moscow and began working in petrogeology at the State Petroleum Research Institute until 1934.
From 1934 to 1937 he worked as a Senior Research Officer at the Institute of Mineral Fuels of the Russian Academy of Sciences, and was also a part-time lecturer at the University of Moscow's Moscow Petroleum Institute and Palaeontological Institute in 1936.
Glaessner married Tina Tupikina in 1936, and moved back to Vienna in December late 1937.
Of Jewish descent on his father's side, he was arrested on 19 March 1938 but released to work at the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (now British Petroleum) in London.
Later in 1938 he moved to Port Moresby, Territory of New Guinea (then under Australian control), where he worked for joint oil exploration companies until 1950.
He held various positions at the University of Adelaide from 1950 to 1989, including chair of Geology and Palaeontology in 1964.
Glaessner received the Lyell Medal of the Geological Society, the Walcott Medal of the National Academy of Sciences in 1982, the Verco Medal awarded by the Royal Society of South Australia (1970), and the Eduard Suess Medal of the Geological Society of Austria (1985).
He became a fellow of the Australian Academy of Science in 1957 and was on its council from 1960 to 1962.
He was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 1985.